My signature Chicken and Apple Balls recipe is where it all began and helped encourage my fussy eating son to eat chicken for the first time. This finger food recipe is perfect for baby-led weaning, and, if you make up a batch, you can freeze them in preparation for those busy days.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Makes: 20 balls
Suitable for freezing
250g chicken breast, cut into chunks
250g boneless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp fresh thyme or sage, chopped, or a pinch of mixed dried herbs
1 egg yolk
1 low-salt chicken stock cube, crumbled (for babies over 1 year)
50g fresh white breadcrumbs
Salt and freshly ground pepper (for babies over 1 year)
Plain flour for coating
Vegetable oil for frying
- Put the chicken in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds.
- Using your hands, squeeze out a little excess liquid from the grated apple.
- Mix the apple with the chicken, onion, herbs, egg yolk, stock cube (if using) and breadcrumbs and roughly chop in a food processor for a few seconds.
- Season with a little salt and pepper (if using).
- With your hands, form into about 20 balls, roll in flour and fry in shallow oil for about 5 minutes until lightly golden and cooked through.
For more recipes from Annabel Karmel visit www.annabelkarmel.com