Recipe by Alice Fotheringham, specialist in infant nutrition and Head of Recipe Development at Piccolo.
These deliciously moreish apple and apricot muffins are quick to make and ideal for snacks, in the lunchbox or tied up with a ribbon as a present. We have used our Piccolo Apple & Apricot puree in these, but you can remove and add another 50ml of milk or a heaped tablespoon of yoghurt.
Tip: You can also use different fruit, substitute the Apple & Apricot puree and fruit for our Peach & Apple puree and some chunks of tinned peach.
Storage: Store in an airtight container for 2 – 3 days in the fridge. As the muffins are fairly moist, if you want to keep them for longer, please freeze.
- 250g self-raising flour
- 100g butter, melted
- 1 x Piccolo Pouch of Apple & Apricot Puree
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 apple such as pink lady peeled and grated
- 1 banana, peeled and mashed
- 70g diced dried apricots (we used un-sulphered brown dried apricots)
- 2 eggs
- 50ml milk
- Preheat oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas Mark 4 and place muffin cases into muffin tin or use a well greased muffin tin.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, melted butter, mashed banana and vanilla together.
- Sieve in the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir. Add the Piccolo Pouch of Apple & Apricot and milk until you have a good thick batter consistency. Add the apple and apricot and mix through.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and spring back if lightly pressed in their centres.
- Cool 5 minutes, then loosen and turn muffins out of tin. Serve warm or cool to room temperature on a rack.
Recipes and tips by Alice Fotheringham, infant nutrition specialist at Piccolo. Piccolo is an organic baby food brand with roots in the Mediterranean approach to feeding your baby. Supporting the NCT and giving 10% of profit to food education, come and visit us at www.mylittlepiccolo.com to find out more